Two RV Gypsies: Full-Time RVers

page 2 of 2
The two RV Gypsies
in Knoxville, Tennessee
October 10, 2016

Below: Two views of the Veteran's Memorial

the Veterans Memorial in Knoxville

the Veteran's Memorial in Knoxville

Below: The Giant 1982 World's Fair Rubik's Cube at the Holiday Inn. It weighs 1,200 pounds.

sign: Holiday Inn at Worlds Fair Park

sculpture on the wall of Holiday Inn

Giant 1982 World's Fair Rubik's Cube sign

Giant 1982 World's Fair Rubik's Cube

Giant 1982 World's Fair Rubik's Cube

All three rows turned individually. The two RV Gypsies loved the fact that this was a gift from a World's Fair.

Karen and Giant 1982 World's Fair Rubik's Cube

Giant 1982 World's Fair Rubik's Cube

A giant, beautiful chandelier inside Holiday Inn

giant chandelier inside Holiday Inn

giant chandelier inside Holiday Inn

A giant bronze oarsman appears to paddle a boat that is half-submerged in the sidewalk on West Church Avenue. Sculpted by David L. Phelps in 1988.

A giant bronze oarsman sculpture

Below: White's Fort, also known as James White's Fort, was an 18th-century settlement that became Knoxville, Tennessee. The name also refers to the fort itself.

history clipart bookThe settlement of White's Fort began in 1786 by James White, a militia officer during the American Revolutionary War. When William Blount, the territorial governor of the Southwest Territory, moved the territorial capital to White's Fort in 1791, he renamed it Knoxville in honor of Henry Knox, the American Revolutionary War general and Washington's Secretary of War.

The fort itself began when James White built a cabin near what is now the corner of State Street and Clinch Avenue. This cabin soon became the center of a cluster of fortified log structures known as White's Fort. The original cabin later became the kitchen of the Kennedy House, which was built in the 1830s. In 1906, when the Kennedy house was demolished for development, Isaiah Ford bought the log structure and moved it to Woodlawn Pike. It was purchased again in 1960 by the City Association of Women's Clubs; in 1968, the timbers were reconstructed as part of the fort. The fort still stands on a bluff near its original location. Seven log cabins and the stockade fence remain. The cabins house pioneer artifacts and furnishings.

Unfortunately, it was closed when the two RV Gypsies got there so they could not go inside.

sign: James White's Fort

sign: James White's Fort

James White's Fort

the two RV Gypsies  in trouble

Below: A shiny metal piece of art

A shiny metal scuplture

Below: The two RV Gypsies visited The Women's Basketball Hall of Fame at 700 Hall of Fame Drive in Knoxville, TN honors men and women who have contributed to the sport of women's basketball. The Hall of Fame opened in 1999 in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. Knoxville is known for having a large women's basketball following as well as being the home of the University of Tennessee's Lady Vols basketball team previously coached by legendary women's coach Pat Summitt who was part of the first class inducted.

The Women's Basketball Hall of Fame  sign

Karen Duquette at The Women's Basketball Hall of Fame

A big Arch made of bicycles

Lee Duquette and a bicycle arch Knoxville 225 Anniversary sign

look below
This is not a linear site, so there are three choices for continued navigation below:

go to the next adventure of the two RV GypsiesAfter leaving Knoxville, the two RV Gypsies returned to Florida to see their newly born great-granddaughter Gabriella and more in Broward County and other areas of Florida.


go back to the SD menu Return to the TN 2016 menu to continue navigation in the order of your choice.