|The two RV Gypsies took a Segway tour in Wheeling, WV and saw the "world's largest teapot" in Chester, WV - September 29, 2011
|Oglebay Park is a self supporting
public municipal park, the only one of its kind, located on the outskirts
of Wheeling, West Virginia on 1,650 acres. The park has 3 golf courses,
11 tennis courts, a large outdoor pool, walking trails, the Good Zoo, The
Mansion Museum, gardens, a greenhouse, the Anne Kuchinka Amphitheater, the
Wilson Lodge, 49 cottages, The Schrader Center, a planetarium, a ski slope,
Camp Russel, and Schenk Lake, which is used for fishing, pedal boating,
Segway tours, and several nightly fountain shows in season.
There were lots of wild deer all around the park. The deer below was checking out the miniature golf course.
The two RV Gypsies took a Segway tour around Oglebay Park.
"the World's Largest Teapot" - photos below
1938: The Teapot started its life as a big wooden hogshead barrel for a Hire's Root Beer advertising campaign. William "Babe" Devon purchased the barrel in Pennsylvania and had it shipped to Chester where it was set up on Carolina Avenue - State Route 2. A spout and handle were added and the wooden barrel was covered with tin to form the teapot's shape. A large glass ball was placed on top to make the knob of the "lid". The Teapot stood in front of Devon's pottery outlet store. Local teenagers were hired to run a concession and souvenir stand which was set up inside the Teapot.
|1947 - Late 1960's It was closed for 2 years during World War II. The Teapot and Devon's pottery business were sold to Mary Wucherer and Rhelda Cain in 1947. Food was once again sold out of the Teapot until the late 1960's. Then the Teapot was used to sell lawn and garden items as well as china and novelty pieces.
|1971 The Teapot was sold to Cecil and Alice Fletcher and painted blue and white. The Fletchers continued to sell pottery and other gift items from it for many years.
|1984 C&P Telephone purchased the land it was on. The Teapot was in danger of being scrapped. Geneva Hill, a Chester native, brought citizens to action in helping to save the Teapot from destruction.
|1987 C&P Telephone offered to donate the Teapot to the City of Chester. A restoration committee was formed and fund-raising plans were made. The Teapot was moved to various places in Chester while the $3,000 required to restore it was raised. Repair work began on the floor and roof joints. Problems with the State Highway Department and townspeople caused debate on where the Teapot should be permanently located. The Teapot endured years of bad weather which created new problems for it and the committee was disbanded and further restoration attempts were halted.
|Early 1990 The Chester City Council voted to provide funds toward the restoration of the Teapot after Councilman Frank DeCapio offered to take responsibility for its rehabilitation. The Teapot was moved to a location adjacent to the Jennings Randolph Bridge Ramp, a heavily trafficked area at the junction of State Route 2 and U.S. Route 30. The property and a fence were donated by the State. A concrete pad for the Teapot to sit on was donated by the Tri-State Pottery Festival Association. Through the spring and summer of 1990, the Teapot's restoration was finished. The Teapot was officially dedicated at a ceremony held in Chester's community center on October 12, 1990.
|Note of Interest: "The Chester Teapot was in the Guinness World Record book as the World's Largest Teapot, but now at 73.8 meters in height, and featuring a floor area of over 5,000 square meters, a unique teapot museum in China set the new world record for the Largest Teapot Monument. It is shaped like a giant clay teapot, and accompanied by a smaller building shaped like a tea cup. "
|Above quote According to http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/drinks/largest_Teapot_Monument_The_Meitan_Tea_Museum_sets_world_record_101949.html
Below is a "vine man" along the side of the road with the Ohio River in the background. Backlighting made it impossible to get a really good photo.