Two RV Gypsies: Full-Time RVers
McBride, British Columbia
August 24, 2009
|The site of McBride was surveyed and established as a divisional point through the Yellowhead Pass for the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1912. For awhile, its first station was the largest between Winnipeg and Prince Rupert. The yards had 8 miles of track plus a roundhouse, turntable, bunkhouse, 2 water towers, a dam and an ice house. The village of McBride was designed in a standard Grand Trunk Pacific Railway design. It was first known as Mile 90, being 90 miles from Summit at the boundary with Alberta. In 1913 it was named McBride after Richard McBride, the Premier of British Columbia. McBride was incorporated in 1932.
|The town of McBride did NOT have a car wash - bad news for RVers. But there were lots of hiking trails, fishing, and mountain biking in the area.
|Beaverview RV Park was a nice looking campground, but did not have a lot of sites. It had a nicely landscaped office, pull-through grassy sites, water & electric hook-ups, no sewers, no cable, tent sites with fire pits, free Wi-Fi, clean washrooms, free hot showers, free sani-dump, & laundromat, plus firewood and horseshoes. Limited TV stations - 8 actually but not ABC. No washing of vehicles.
the new yard of the two RV Gypsies - August 23, 2009
An art walk through the city of McBride exhibits examples of the fantastic artwork created by artisans from the Whistle Stop Gallery via painted fire hydrants.
The sidewalks were blue with hockey players on them
painting on a building in the city
street signs had trains on them too
|There are 7 river systems flowing in the BC portion of the Rocky Mountain Trench. The only river completely in BC is the largest one, the Fraser River. It flows from its source high in the mountains about 50 km from the Yellowhead Highway near Lucerne, then westerly to the trench of Tete Juane, then northwesterly through the beautiful Robson Valley to Prince George and its confluence with the Nechako River. Then it travels in a southwesterly direction through the Fraser Canyon. At Hope, it turns and flows west to Vancouver and the Pacific Ocean. The Fraser River was a major transportation route when the Overlanders came in search of the gold fields in 1862.
Leaving McBride the next day
|After driving about 30 miles, the two RV Gypsies heard a very loud bang, so they drove slowly and carefully until they could find a rest area big enough for their RV to fit in. Then they stopped to investigate the problem. One of the inner tires blew. While Lee was pumping air into the tire, Karen took a walk around the area and photographed a beautiful river.
|Lee determined that the tire needed to be replaced, so the two RV Gypsies slowly drove back to McBride. On the way back to McBride, a deer crossed the road in front of their RV.
|The Goodyear garage in McBride was closed, and the only place that could fix the tire could not schedule the repair until the next day, so the two RV Gypsies returned to the campground. AWO had space to herself.
|In the morning, AWO was put in for repair, and the two RV Gypsies decided to go to Beaver Falls.
|Karen was looking left and photographing the above sign. Lee was looking left too, then suddenly hit his brakes. The road had ended and there was a drop down to the river. Good thing Lee looked forward in time and had good reflexes. It would not have been nice if they had driven into the river. All's well that end's well.
All is well, and the two RV Gypsies head down the path
Karen Duquette has to learn NOT to wear green when hiking - she vanishes into the background.
Beaver Falls is small, but still a strong, powerful, beautiful falls.
|After a short time, it was time to leave because Lee still was not feeling very well, and the hike was a strain on him.